New Zealand MY2020 grain and feed consumption largely steady y-o-y

March 9, 2021 - Total grain and feed (including oilseed meal) consumption in New Zealand is currently estimated at 5.8 million metric tons (MMT) for marketing year (MY) 2020, up nearly one percent over MY2019, according to the USDA GAIN report.

For MY2021 total consumption is forecast at 5.6 MMT, down three percent as a result of reduced dairy sector demand for feed because of better pasture supplies. Due to New Zealand’s limited land for growing grains and oilseeds, approximately 60 percent of the total grain and feed supply is imported, with the other 40 percent produced domestically. The dairy sector continues to account for nearly 75 percent of grain and feed consumption. A number of factors are impacting this sector, some of which are also presenting opportunities for a changing mix of imported feeds.